Re: [Espanol-Ingles] I use learnt and learned all the time.

Expandir mensajes
  • Philippe Dufresne
    Mensaje 1 de 52 , 1 ago 2005
    Ver código fuente
    • 0 archivo adjunto
      Hello all,

      I'm a retired teacher of English as a second language. I'm a francophone (native speaker of French). I used to teach to non-native speakers of English, mostly francophones ... and I still do, occasionally.

      I very well know that both forms are possible and equally understood by all native speakers of English. From a learning standpoint, I recommend to my students to always choose the regular form over the irregular one.

      In learning any foreign language, the learners have enough irregularities  to deal with that whenever a choice is possible between two forms - a regular one and an irregular one - without distorting meaning then by all means do yourselves a favor adopt the regular form. Keep it simple.

      Now a "learned scholar" is an entirely different thing and pronounced differently as all native speakers know. When I say keep it simple, the preceding sentence is of no real help, particularly in this instance.

      Hasta luego !

      Philippe (Felipe, Philip)

      P.S. As a retirement challenge, I'm learning Spanish. My wife and I went to Spain for two months, May and June 2005, and really enjoyed the language.

      So here I am with you guys to help me out with my Spanish. I could reciprocally help you out with your English or French as the case may be.

      Hispanophones (hispanofonos - Spanish speakers)  are probably confronted with some of the same  learning difficulties that francophones have to deal with learning English as a second language.

      I would be glad to help. I've got all the time in the world.

      Philippe

      Genesis McKenzie <healthygen@...> a écrit :
      Strange, I learnt, that, you could use the word 'learnt' from an English professor.  Dictionary.com says that you could use it.  go to www.dictionary.com  and look up the word.  Some professor  say that you cannot use the word 'And' or 'But' at the beginning of sentences; that is not true either; however, some students are taught that.
      - Genesis

      CLHW@... wrote:
      Sorry. I was raised by a college professor who has written books.
      She told me it was poor English to put a "t" at the end of the past tense
      to the verb "to learn". So did my school teachers and professors in four
      states.

      The only people I hear using "learnt" are people from British countries
      and Americans who are poorly educated. Also many people from New York like
      my husband's father from the Bronx. His parents were German and did not
      learn good English.

      At least in the South, a person who writes "learnt" on an English paper
      will have it marked wrong.

> [...]
      >or learnt; plus, you will sound smarter.  I live in New York City, and my
      >English professors use it.  either way is right.  Use them both as tools
      >in your vocabulary.  At times one sounds better than the other in a
      >sentence.  You just have to know what sounds better.  If you don't then
      >don't use it.  But if you are going to say that you have LEARNT something,
      >please use the word LEARNT, rather than LEARNED.  It sounds much better.
      >This is what I have been taught growing up.
      >- Genesis

      >Tired of spam?  Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around
      >http://mail.yahoo.com

      ><DIV>Man.. lots of people in&nbsp;North America use learnt.&nbsp; I use it
      >all the time.&nbsp; I&nbsp;was born and raise in the U.S.&nbsp; It doesn't
      >matter.. Use it.&nbsp; I use it in writing; even own my family and friends
      >use it.&nbsp; And it sounds better when you say, "I
      ><STRONG>learnt</STRONG> something new," than to say, "I
      ><STRONG>learned</STRONG> something new."&nbsp; "Learned in this case
      >doesn't flow well than learnt, which is much more crispier.&nbsp; People
      >will still understand&nbsp;you whether or not you use learned or learnt;
      >plus, you will&nbsp;sound smarter.&nbsp; I live in New York City, and my
      >English professors use it.&nbsp; either way is right.&nbsp; Use them both
      >as tools in your vocabulary.&nbsp; At times one sounds better than the
      >other in a sentence.&nbsp; You just have to know what sounds better.&nbsp;
      >If you don't then don't use it.&nbsp; But if you are going to say that you
      >have LEARNT something, please use the word LEARNT, rather than
      >LEARNED.&nbsp; It
      > sounds much better.&nbsp; This is what I have been taught growing up.</DIV>
      ><DIV>-
      >Genesis&nbsp;</DIV><p>__________________________________________________<br
      >>Do You Yahoo!?<br>Tired of spam?  Yahoo! Mail has the best spam
      >protection around <br>http://mail.yahoo.com
      >
      ><!-- |**|begin egp html banner|**| -->

      ><tt>
      >Cancelar suscripción / Unsubscribe:<BR>
      ><BR>
      >Espanol-Ingles-unsubscribe@... <BR>
      ><BR>
      >Portuguese, French, Spanish, Italian&nbsp; Learning Links:<BR>
      ><a
      >href="http://www.lordoftheringsproducts.com/languages.html">http://www.lord
      >oftheringsproducts.com/languages.html</a><BR>
      ></tt>
      >
      ><!-- |**|end egp html banner|**| -->
      >

      ><!-- |**|begin egp html banner|**| -->

      >  <hr width="500">
      ><ul>
      ><li>Para visitar el sitio web del grupo, andá a:<br><a
      >href="http://ar.groups.yahoo.com/group/Espanol-Ingles/">http://ar.groups.ya
      >hoo.com/group/Espanol-Ingles/</a><br>&nbsp;
      ><li>Para cancelar tu suscripción a este grupo, enviá un mensaje a:<br><a
      >href="mailto:Espanol-Ingles-unsubscribe@...?subject=Unsubscr
      ><li>El uso de Yahoo! Grupos está sujeto a las <a

      http://mail.yahoo.com

      Yahoo! Mail - Votre e-mail personnel et gratuit qui vous suit partout !
      Créez votre Yahoo! Mail sur http://mail.yahoo.fr

    • Alvaro
      Mensaje 52 de 52 , 3 ago 2005
      Ver código fuente
      • 0 archivo adjunto
        --- En Espanol-Ingles@..., Sue <silvermaple19215@g...>
        escribió:
        > Hello Valeria and all
        >
        > When I lived on the border of Texas and Mexico I learned a way to
        say, "It
        > doesn't matter which one.''
        >
        > No le hace.
        >
        > Does it mean this in Argentina or any other Spanish-speaking
        country?

        > Thanks,
        >
        > Sue

        Hola Sue, I would understand what you mean with "no le hace", but I'm
        not sure if in every other Latin American country they would
        understand it right away. I would translate it as "No importa cual
        (de todos)".
        Bueno, ya me voy a almorzar (which is lunch for me, but in Mexico is
        like a late breakfast I think?) Que algún amigo/a mexicano nos
        explique.
      Tu mensaje se envió con éxito y se entregará al destinatario en breve.